Monday, June 1, 2009

Change of Plans

I'm linking this post to Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality. Rhoda hosts the event every Monday. Check out her blog at http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/ to see all the links to everyone else's finds.

The past few days have been a constant change of plans.


I planned to do the Route 40 yard sales all day on Thursday and Friday. But a baby in the family was born on Wednesday afternoon and had a dramatic first 48-hours. He will be fine, but we spent the past few days making runs to two hospitals (mom at one and baby at the other), babysitting the 2 year-old sister, and generally trying to be available to help.


I did do sales on the way to the hospital on Thursday morning. My best find: a pile of Waverly valances and curtains that solve my dining room and kitchen window problems. The whole pile was $3 (some of them still in the packages). The man that took my money said his wife just told him to price everything. I told him to be sure to thank her for me! I'll use the valances and then cut up the curtain tiers for placemats and/or napkins to match.


But generally it just didn't feel like a lucky trip. Other things on my mind, I guess.


Do you ever wonder what's going to make a good thrift hunting trip? Is it just a matter of being in the right frame of mind? right place/right time? some aligning of the stars and moon? Because this morning I went to Goodwill, and I found so many things! A lamp, a pillar with the 29.99 Kohls sticker still on it, 2 wine carafs, a cloche ( 59 cents!), a pair of white candle sticks, a set of salt/pep to match a set of dishes I'm accumulating, & some ribbon.


But my best find, not pictured b/c it's still in the car - a thick bronze-ish curtain rod. I'm working on getting curtains hung in our master. I bought the curtains, the rod and the ring clips. But I forgot to get a rod for my closet window. I wasn't looking forward to going back to the store and spending another $30 on a matching rod, plus another at least $20 for ring clips. The rod I found today included a baggie with the tie backs, the hardware, and some nice clips, all nearly identical to what I bought for the main bedroom, all for 1.99!!! I saved about $48. I'm so excited to get this project started.



I fully intend to use that wine carafe tonight. It was one of those weekends that makes you look forward to the NEXT weekend.




3 comments:

  1. All great finds, especially a cloche for 59cents! And the rod and hardware for 1.99. That stuff can be very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great finds. Sometimes GW just has the neatest things. I love everything you got. I look forward to seeing the curtains, that is always fun. I'm sorry to hear about your family, but praise the Lord everyone is going to be fine. Congratulations on the little one, and I will say a prayer for continued health. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I love all your finds!! That's great & I'm with you on the curtain hardware. Almost every one of my windows has yardsale hardware & it's all beautiful. Lucky find for you! Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete