Wednesday, November 7, 2012

November Kit - Wood Veneers

Just a quick post today to show you how I did some counterfeited wood veneer shapes.

I first did some veneer counterfeiting back in my July kit.  Today I just wanted to give you a link to a source for the veneer paper I used in this month's kit.

The Real Wood sheets are from Creative Imaginations.  Just do an internet search, and it looks like you can find different pieces from different retailers.  I got lucky and found my birch sheet on clearance at Michaels for $1 earlier this summer.


For your cutting reference, I used a Cricut to cut this month's shapes, and it worked really well.  I set the pressure to Max, speed to Max, and had the blade depth set to 5.  I used just one cut.  At first I worried because you can barely see the cut on the wood, and I thought it wasn't working.  But no worries - most places popped right out.  The exception was long passes that went against the grain.  I used a craft knife along the cut line to help pop those cuts off the page.  I was really happy with the cuts I made.


The sheets work really well with punches and hand cutting, too.

Just wanted to pass along this great item.  The packaged veneer shapes are very nice, but this veneer paper gives you the chance to make a custom shape and to cut only the quantity you want for any one shape. Cut 2 or 3 more copies of the same image, and you can stack and adhere the layers to make a faux chipboard with a veneer top.

I call it a good counterfeit!

7 comments:

  1. this is simply awesome!! i never new these existed- i love the wood veneer shapes etc. tfs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! What a great idea! I'm going to have to look for these at Michael's this week. I love these wood veneer shapes-I wonder if it would work in my Silhouette?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea and so much less expensive too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, TFS Shimele's prompts are behind so this is a great time to catch up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought the cricut would cut this out...never mind the punches.
    I have never tried the wood veneers though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, I'll have to keep my eyes out for some veneer paper like that!

    ReplyDelete